Grafted Growers Recipe (Atlantis Broccoli)
Atlantis broccoli with bacon in a creamy garlic parmesan sauce is a dinner to remember! Broccoli and crispy bacon are pan-fried and baked in a cheesy parmesan garlic sauce! This recipe, topped with bubbling mozzarella, is sure to make any non-vegetable lover fall in love with vegetables! Plus, there’s a bonus. It has a low carbohydrate content.
Here’s another Grafted Growers recipe featuring Atlantis broccoli.
Raw broccoli is almost entirely made up of water, with only 7% carbohydrates, 3% protein, and almost no fat. It has low-calorie content, with only 31 calories per cup (91 grams).
‘Creamy Broccoli & Bacon with Garlic Parmesan Sauce’
- 8 ounces (250 g) bacon roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion diced
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (400 ml) light cream (or for a richer sauce, you can use heavy or thickened cream)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water cornstarch slurry
- 1 pound (500 g) broccoli florets, from 2-3 broccoli heads (stems removed)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded or grated mozzarella
- 1/3 cup fresh shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat broiler (on medium heat of you have the option).
- Cook the bacon until crispy in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate using a slotted spoon to absorb some of the oil.
- Remove the majority of the bacon fat from the pan, keeping around 1-2 teaspoons for flavor (adjust this amount to your liking). Melt the butter in the same pan, then add the onion and cook, scraping up any browned pieces from the bacon, until translucent (approximately 2 minutes). Season the broccoli with salt and pepper, then cook, stirring periodically, for approximately 3 minutes, or until it has just begun to turn bright in color.
- Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds, or until fragrant, before adding it to the broccoli. Pour in the cream, lower the heat to low, and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring regularly, or until the sauce has thickened to your desire.
- Toss in the bacon and give everything a nice stir to blend the flavors. Add the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses on top. Broil until the cheese is brown and bubbling, and the broccoli is cooked to your preference (about 2-3 minutes).