Grafted Growers Recipe (Casper Eggplant)
These Crispy Baked Casper Eggplant Cutlets have a crunchy outside and a tender and moist inside. A delicious and satisfying vegetarian snack that you can enjoy guilt-free, and it’s so delicious you won’t miss the meat!
Here’s Grafted Growers recipe featuring Casper Eggplant!
Casper eggplant is a good source of vitamins B1 and B6 as well as potassium, with only 20 calories per cup (100 grams), 5 grams of carbs, 2 grams of protein, and 3 grams of fiber. In addition, eggplant is high in copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, niacin, and folic acid, among other nutrients.
‘Crispy Baked Casper Eggplant Cutlets’
- 1 lb. Casper eggplant
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped parsley
- 1 small garlic clove finely minced
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- In a large deep skillet, bring about 2 inches of water to a boil and season lightly with salt.
- Slice the eggplant crosswise into approximate 1 cm thick rounds.
- Boil the eggplant slices for 3 minutes, a few at a time, without overcrowding the pan.
- Transfer the eggplant to a dish towel-covered tray to absorb the excess water with a slotted spoon. Repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Prepare the breading ingredients in three bowls. Add flour and a pinch of salt to the first bowl; an egg beaten with 1 tbsp. water and a pinch of salt to the second bowl; and the breading ingredients to the third bowl: dry unseasoned breadcrumbs, grated Parmigiano cheese, fresh chopped parsley, a small clove of garlic (finely minced), dry oregano, salt, and pepper to the third bowl.
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering it with parchment paper and gently grease it with olive oil. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dredge both sides of each slice of eggplant first in the flour, next in the egg wash (allowing the excess to drip off) and finally in the breadcrumb mixture. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining eggplant.
- Drizzle the tops with a little extra olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through, until crisp and golden. Serve hot.